Caramel Slice (GF, DF, RSF, V)
When peanut butter meets caramel … and chocolate …. YUM. This slice is made predominantly from nuts and dates, making it a perfect ‘naughty’ snack alternative. Did you know how extremely gooey and caramel-like medjool dates taste? Keep the slice in the freezer at home for whenever you feel like a treat, or make it for your friends and watch their reactions when you tell them it contains NO NASTY ingredients at all! This is a raw slice, and therefore requires no cooking and no crazy appliances or tools. All you need is a food processor and your hands. Enjoy this ‘naughty’ treat because it will NOT last long.
Makes: 20 -24
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 6 Medjool dates
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- pinch Salt
Peanut Butter Caramel
- 1 ½ cups pitted Medjool dates
- 4 tbsp Nuttabutta
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- For the base, place cashews and almonds into a high-powered food processer and blend until they form a fine crumb.
- Add the medjool dates, rice malt syrup, vanilla and salt and blitz until it is combined and sticks together. If it does not stick together, add another date or two and blitz again.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper and spoon the base mixture into it. Spread the mixture evenly and flatten using your hands or the back of a spoon.
- Put the dish into the freezer to firm up.
- For the caramel layer, simply place all the ingredients into a high-powered food processer and blend until it is all combined, gooey and smooth. If your blender is finding it a little too difficult to blend, add a little water.
- Once the base layer is firm enough (approx. 20 mins) scoop the caramel over it. Using a spatula, spread the caramel out evenly.
- Place back into the freezer while you make the chocolate.
- To make the chocolate layer, mix all ingredients together in a bowl using a whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and place back into the freezer to set (approx. 1 hour).
- Once the slice has set, bring it out of the freezer and slice it into small squares (or big – we won’t tell!).
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer. The slice will last for months!